Get 3DNow! Message Board
  Drivers
  ATi Rage 128

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Author Topic:   ATi Rage 128
Armin
High Priest of Athlon
posted July 06, 1999 18:42     Click Here to See the Profile for Armin     Edit/Delete Message
From my review work I can say that the Rage 128 is a very competitive 32 bit renderer still, even when compared with the TNT-2.

Also I can say that the OpenGL ICD stinks when it comes to 3DNow! support. Considering the large number of computers undoubtly sold with K6-2s and Rage 128 boards, that needs to be fixed.

Who of you runs such a combination?

IP: Logged

foxbat_k
Follower of Athlon
posted July 07, 1999 10:41     Click Here to See the Profile for foxbat_k     Edit/Delete Message
Doesnt it have 32MB RAM?

Armin
High Priest of Athlon
posted July 07, 1999 16:07     Click Here to See the Profile for Armin     Edit/Delete Message
There are versions with 8, 16 and 32 MB available, with or without TV-out and also the AIW128 with TV-Tuner.

Adrian
Priest of Athlon
posted July 07, 1999 17:21     Click Here to See the Profile for Adrian     Edit/Delete Message
I remember emailing ATI about the 3dnow! support in the rage 128 chip a month or two ago. They replied that support was already present. When questioned further I got no further reply.

There was no mention of further support or drivers in development.

Armin
High Priest of Athlon
posted July 07, 1999 18:11     Click Here to See the Profile for Armin     Edit/Delete Message
The last status I got was that the CD30 drivers had "some 3DNow!" support, but the contact was more or less ashamed of passing it off as their contribution to world peace.

I expect that in the light of their market share and OEM presence they will have to do better - and we'll target them.

Siniestro
Priest of Athlon
posted July 07, 1999 20:04     Click Here to See the Profile for Siniestro     Edit/Delete Message
Even as a nVidia fanatic and owner, I should remind you of the time we had to wait until they launched the 1.88 tnt detonators (but never released a 3dnow! optimized driver set for the riva128) after lots of drivers with incomplete 3dnow support. Linux GLX support was a nightmare too.
I think that ATI is a nut harder to crack than nVidia, though everything's possible. Hope they behave the same way, just show them where their money comes from

Adrian
Priest of Athlon
posted July 09, 1999 12:52     Click Here to See the Profile for Adrian     Edit/Delete Message
The 3dnow! drivers that ATI produced for the rage pro chipset were actually pretty good. Pitty that the card was so crappy in the first place compared to other competing cards then.

All times are ET (US) next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

| Get 3DNow!

All submissions are copyrighted by their respective authors and are not for re-use in any form without their explicit written consent.